So, I finally got to take Vera out for a cosplay appearance when I went to NineWorlds GeekFest recently. By the way, if you have any way of making it happen, GO TO NINEWORLDS NEXT YEAR! Best convention ever, this was my second year attending and it was brilliant.
But, this post is about Vera/Jayne, so here we go.
Vera was very well received and I got a lot of compliments for her crochet goodness. Unfortunately I was too busy having way too much fun to take any decent pictures at the convention, but here are a few others have taken:
That’s me in the foyer, showing off my Vera. Photo by Mike Brooks
She’s done! She’s done!
It’s been a good 80 hrs of work (possibly more, I’m not very good at keeping track) but she’s finally done!
She’s so cuddly and pretty and huge, I love her!
She’s completely crocheted without a pattern, filled with upholstery foam and wooden dowels for stability as well as ceramic baking beads for weight balance. She’s quite heavy for a crocheted item, but still light enough to tote around all day.
I’ve started working on Jayne’s knife and will also crochet his handgun and holster and belt pockets. Hoping to get it all done before August for NineWorlds Geek Fest!
I am six bullets and a strap away from completing Vera! She’s turning out gorgeous and I am super proud of it already. Almost there, almost there!
She’s reinforced with wooden dowels, weighted with ceramic baking beads (to balance the shorter end with the longer, bulkier front) and filled with upholstery foam.
I have the cargo trousers and shirt ready to go as well, so the costume is getting towards completion. I would like to try to crochet the holders, gun, knife and gloves as well if I can get them done in time.
Here’s hoping! 😀
I finally made some time to work on Vera again! It’s been way too long.
She’s coming along nicely. I used a 9mm dowel to reinforce the body and the grip for better stability.
Here’s to hoping I can finish her soon as I have a long list of cosplays I want to finish this year! 😀
It’s very rudimentary, but I have the basic body finished, everything else will be built on top of this. Unfortunately I ran out of black yarn, so I’ll have to work on the decorative bits and piecew until I stock up again.
I’m using upholstery foam for the filling for the first time, I’m hoping it’s more stable than polyfil and holds the shape better. It seems to be working well so far, we’ll see how it goes once all the bits and pieces are added.